Thursday, December 15, 2005

Ways in which I am a cheap-o

1) I stalk my library's web site. I put new books on hold and watch and wait for it to be my turn. I just won't buy a book that I'm not sure I will ever read again. (and I already have 5 bookcases full of books)

2) Ditto for Blockbuster and new movies.

3) My thermostat is set at 62 degrees from 5am-8am and 5pm-10pm, but the other hours are set for a *chilly* 58 degrees.

4) I do buy certain things at Wal-Mart even though 95% of my family totally boycotts the place. Must be nice to be rich.

5) I always use less laundry detergent, shampoo, facial cleanser, etc. than recommended. It goes a lot further that way.

6) Alright, this one is hard to admit, but when our nearest thrift store is closed, I drive by and see what people have left outside the back door. This is NOT stealing because they have multiple signs telling people NOT to leave stuff out there when they are closed-that it is considered littering, so I feel no qualms about the wonderfully huge six drawer desk that I got there or the cute wooden bookshelf or the old chair for my daughter's room. I imagine this is gross to some people, but how gross can wooden furniture be? What could be living in or on it? I leave everything in the garage for a couple days to "air" it out and clean/sand/repaint it. Anyway, thanks litterbugs!

7) I won't buy anything for my scrapbook habit unless it is at a discount or on sale or with a coupon, even staples like adhesives and cardstock.

8) I use disposable shavers FAR too many times.

9) When asked what I want for my birthday or christmas, I always ask for something practical and if I get something fun instead, like a Starbucks card or jewelry or a sweater, I feel pretty ungrateful, even though I like those things too.

10) I have never tipped our newspaper delivery people. (at this house) We have so many missed days, wet papers and late days that I just can't give a tip for bad service. I guess maybe if I gave a tip this Christmas, I might get better service, but that just seems SO wrong to me, I can't do it.

There are a lot more, but I think you get the idea already.

No comments: